Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Nuclear Power Plant?


Look at the above pictures
What comes into your mind?
Global Warming? Nuclear Power plant? Petroleum refinery?
Today I attended my first lecture on Heat and Mass Transfer
My lecturer commented that whenever people see this picture,
image of Nuclear power plant, rubbish incinerator, etc. would wriggle across their mind.
"Yeah, of cos, aren't they Nuclear power plant?!", i thought for a moment.
"They are wrong.", said my lecturer.
Well, I was surprised..
In actual fact, these were just merely cooling towers used in many industries.
A Cooling plant usually uses the evaporation of water to remove industrial process heat and cool the working fluid (usually a refrigerant) to a much lower temperature.
The mechanism of its function is still yet to be known to me
Maybe when I end this sem, I can give a better explanation.
N yeah, hopefully I will score an A for this subject too. *smiles*
So, don't be afraid that this cute tame gigantic building may harm your health due to their emission of CO2, global warming gases etc
The white smoke you see emitting from the big chimney are actually steam
Steam = evaporated water, H20.
No worries to these pathetic structures who has been misunderstood and hated for decades
They are big but kind and gentle :)
PS: I wrote this blog 9 days ago.. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

liao...ur blog ....the article oso so difficult to undastand...

anyway, i still kind of like it..hhaha